Mindfulness meditation for every day
Five Basic Steps to Mindfulness Meditation – Blog
The following article from the Time, 3rd February, 2014, guides you through the 5 basic steps to mindfulness meditation:
“Basic mindfulness meditation, the practice of doing nothing and being tuned into your own mind at the same time, can be frustrating at first. But research shows it reduces stress and increases focus.
- Sit cross-legged on a cushion on the floor or in a chair. Keep your back straight and let your shoulder drop. Take a deep breath and close your eyes if you wish.
- Notice your breath. Don’t change your breathing, but focus on the sensation of air moving in and out of your lungs.
- As thought come into your mind and distract you from breathing, acknowledge those thoughts and then return to focusing on your breathing each time. Let any thoughts go as if they were clouds. Just let them pass by.
- Don’t judge yourself or try to ignore distractions. Your job is simply to notice that your mind has wandered and to bring your attention back to your breathing.
- Start by doing this 10 minutes a day for a week. The more you meditate regularly, the easier ti will be to keep your attention where you want it.” (adapted from Full Catastrophe Living, 2nd edition, by John Kabat-Zinn)
Recent research has proven the positive effects of mindfulness meditation. Mindfulness meditation can be practiced anywhere: during eating – mindful meditation, when getting up, walking to work or brushing your teeth. Bring your awareness to the breath, breath normally and you might notice that your breathing is slowing down on its own. Mindfulness meditation brings you back to peace and into the intimacy of your own body. Make 2015 the new start towards being at home in the body! See you on the mat,